Welcome to another of WHFB army list roundup, and this time we take a quick look at the Warhammer Skaven army list possibilities. Right now when you think competitive Skaven army lists, you think or should think Screaming Bell.
This list was made popular in the UK by Ben Johnson, but I had a friend Adam Tremblay who actually played a bell list in early 8th edition.
Below you can see Ben Johnson’s 2013 ETC list which does not include the a doom wheel or the assassins that many who run this build include. Thanks to Paint Hammer for posting this list up online and all of the Warhammer Fantasy ETC Lists!
The slaves are really the key to this list letting the Skaven player bog down units and dictate which units if any can get into combat with the bell unit. Often the Skaven can beat you with magic and a good proformence from the Abombination, Doom wheel and Warp Lightning Cannon. Find great deals on skaven miniatures here.
- Grey Seer: General, Level 4, Screaming Bell, Dragonbane Gem, Earthing Rod, Skalm, Fencer’s Blades, 535
- Chieftain: BSB, Standard of Discipline, 85
- Warlock Engineer: Level 1, Doom Rocket, Warp Energy Condenser, 115
- Warlock Engineer: Level 1, Pidgeon Plucker Pendant, Ironcurse Icon, Dispel Scroll, 100
- 39 Stormvermin: Fangleader, Musician, Standard Bearer, Storm Banner, Doom Flayer, 403
- 2x 40 Skavenslaves: Pawleader, Musician, 86
- 39 Skavenslaves: Pawleader, Musician, 84
- 3x 2 Rat Swarms: 50
- 2x 6 Gutter Runners: Slings, Poisoned Attacks, 108
- 1 Hell Pit Abomination: Warpstone Spikes, 250
- 2x Plagueclaw Catapult: 100
- 1 Warp Lightning Cannon: 90
- Total: 2400
Themed Skaven army lists
I really like Craig Johnson’s list below as being a competitive list, but actually I’d like to adapt in to a Clan Eshin themed List. I would do this by including another assassin, using an assassin model to represent the warlord with Fellblade, maybe the death master himself, and I’d also keep the Storm Vermin and Gutter Runners untouched, but use night runners instead of the slaves and rats. Let me know what you think in the comments?
Craig Johnson, Skaven
- Warlord: Fellblade, 190
- Warlord: Shield, Warlitter, Warpstone Armour, Sword of Anti-heros, Dawnstone, Ironcurse Icon, 218
- Warlord: General, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Preservation, Ruby Ring of Ruin, Sword of Might, 190
- Chieftain: Halberd, 47
- Chieftain: Halberd, The other Trickster’s Shard, Dragonbane Gem, 67
- Chieftain: Battle Standard Bearer, Great Weapon, Banner of Verminous Scurrying, 84
- Engineer: Doom Rocket, 45
- Engineer: Obsidian Lodestone, 60
- Engineer: Level 2, Ruin, Dispel Scroll, 125
- Assassin: Weeping Blades, Potion of Strength, 170
- 29 Storm Vermin: Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame, 238
- 40 Storm Vermin: Full Command, 305
- 2x 21 Slaves: Champion, Musician, 48
- 21 Slaves: Musician, 44
- 2x 2 Rat Swarms: 50
- 2x 5 Gutter Runners: Slings, Poison, 90
- 1 Warp Lightning Cannon: 90
- 1 Doom Wheel: 150
- Total: 2399
Painting Skaven Fast:
When learning to paint Skaven fast, their is one man who is an authority on the subject that is Wayne Kemp. You can track him down on Twitter, or you find a great description of his technique on HeelanHammer Podcast episode 88 . Basically he suggests spraying the models a mid tone brown, then giving them a light dusting of a lighter brown. Quickly block out the cloth and weapons , and wash or dip the model. Give the model a nice basing job and away you go!
The quickest Skaven army list to paint would include mostly Rat Ogres. These big models are quick to paint and worth a lot of points so your painting time will go further.
Thanks for reading!